There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.
Hodding Carter

Monday, August 15, 2011

My Little Old Man

I've always said that Jackson is an old soul. He always comes up with these deep thoughts or insightful ideas. He continually makes amazing connections to the world around him, and will come up with the most ingenious excuses or reasons why he should or should not do something. As I mentioned in his birthday post, he has been quite smitten with a little girl from his class all year. He would sit next to her at circle and play with her in the gym or for recess. He invited her to his birthday party and she reciprocated for her birthday. She called last week, and the countdown has been on to her birthday party all week. So, the day finally arrived and Jackson waited all day for 4 o'clock to finally get here. He got himself all ready and was super excited to see his girl. We got to the party and noticed many girls from his class, but it was his girl that he kinda followed around. They played in the pool and then had pizza and cupcakes. Then went back to play some more. As I was standing with Jackson, kinda talking with a dad that was standing there, Jackson goes up to his girl, and gets her attention and says....."are you excited to go to heaven with me? Cause we will be in heaven together much longer than we will be on earth together." The dad looks at me, and I looked stunned....and the dad says...."dude you are planning way too far ahead" Where does he get this stuff from? I swear he knows more than any of us do. It really took me aback....I wasn't sure how to react....so when Jackson looked at me, with this smile on his face, I just told him that heaven must be a wonderful place. So....that was my cue to take my 5 year old son with an 83 year old soul, home. So we get to the van and he spots some daisies beside the road. He says "Mom, I gotta bring these to her"....so he's picking daisies for his girl, 5 of them because she is 5, and he says to me "Mom these daisies are my heart and I have to give them to her because I love her so much". Who am I to stand in the way of love like that? So he picked the daisies and brought them back to the party and gave them to his girl, saying to her..."these are my heart and they are for you". I had to go explain to her mom. Such a romantic little boy.....

No comments: