There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.
Hodding Carter

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pigs have flown....

Ok.....today was truly a monumental day in the life of me. Two events occured.....both of which I didn't ever think I would actually bring myself to do.

First.....
Everyone who knows me knows how cheap I am when it comes to spending money on myself. Well maybe not cheap......frugal I would say. I don't buy things I don't need and I will continually convince myself I can do without whatever it is. Well.....today I broke all the rules! I have been wanting a Macbook for years. I do everything for school on computer and I knew having a laptop would make my life so much easier instead of continually trying to convert and email myself everything from my desktop at home to my desktop at school. I told myself that I would eventually get one in celebration of getting a permanent job.........someday. I am tired of waiting for someday! So....someday was today......I ordered it. I will suffer buyer's remorse for a few days.......at least until it arrives and I fall in love with it. Hopefully my blackberry doesn't get too jealous.....I am sure that they will develop a close relationship.

Second.....
All my life I have been involved in numerous sports. I wasn't always very good at them, but that's besides the point. My passion was always skating......either in ringette when I was younger or hockey when I wasn't as young. However, there was one "sport" (is it a sport...or a game?) that I never did understand or have any desire to try......GOLF! I didn't (don't) get it.......you hit a ball then go for a leisurely walk (or worse.....drive!) to find it, then hit it once again. One swing.....then walk.....really?? Try to contain the excitement. There is no body contact, no need for a referee, no heart pumping adrenaline rush....no excitement! So why bother? And yes I know......when I met Dan, his home address was the golf course.....but to each their own. Well.....I'm not sure if it's the angle of the moon or a lapse in better judgement......but today.....for the first time in history.......I.....Shannon....picked up a golf club......and swung it.....at a golf ball. I still don't get it.....but at least now I can say I tried it. I am told that golf is a social sport.....it's "fun" when you go out with other people. Looks like an absolute thrill ride. So I will attempt to stop the golf bashing jokes (don't hold out for that being successful) and infuse a little bit of my "fun" into golf......and try it. Maybe I could create full contact golf.....hmmmmmm.....there may be some potential there.

So......I really don't know what came over me today. But what is done is done.......
I will never again have to say that I should get a laptop......or proudly admit that I have never held a golf club.
History has been made......

Peace, love, health and happiness!

No comments: